1. The title of the book is: “The sisterhood of the traveling pants”, because it is about a group of 4 friends who find a pair of magic pants. During the summer they all travel to different places, they decide to keep sending each other the pants during the summer. That’s why they call the pants the travelling pants. “Sisterhood” stands for their tight friendship.
2. The author of the book is Ann Brashares. Ann Brashares is an American author. She was born in Chevy Chase, Maryland and studied philosophy at Columbia University in New York City. She first worked as a publisher of children’s books but then decided to start writing books herself.
She wrote “The sisterhood of the travelling pants” in 2001. Two other titles have been published in the series with the fourth book in the series scheduled for release in early 2007.
3. The main theme of the book is friendship, because that’s what it is all about in this book.
But other themes that come forward in this book are death and love.
4. The book takes place at several locations. Tibby stays in her hometown in America. Lena stays in Greece with her grandparents, Bridget stays at a soccer camp in Loreto and Carmen goes to south Carolina to her father. At the and of the book they reunite and are all back in Washington D.C.
5. The book is very recent but they don’t name a year in the book. It’s not about the past, it’s about now.
6. The setting of time in the book is a period of about 6 to 8 weeks, because the story is about the summer holiday.
7. All four of the characters have a hero-role in the book. They are normal teenagers but to me they are heroes because they all go through their own struggles but they all manage to deal with their problems on their own, and solve them.
To me Carmen is the biggest hero of the book. She’s a pretty, but chubby Puerto Rican girl who has a Puerto Rican mother and a white father.
She doesn’t see her father often. But in the book she visits him and stays with him for the whole summer. When they are driving to her father’s new house, he tells Carmen that he moved to the suburbs and is engaged to a woman. He already lives with the woman and her two children.
Carmen is shocked by this news. She also feels very excluded, she feels like she does not fit into this family because she is different. Because she hates it so much there, she goes back after a few weeks to her mother. She calls up her dad crying, telling him why she didn’t like it there, and that to her it felt like he had a new family now, and did not need Carmen anymore. This was one of my favourite parts of the book.
8. All the characters are round characters, because all four of the characters are described very well.
All four of the girls are equally Important.
Tibby is a rebel who meets a girl called Bailey. Tibby is making a documentary during the holiday and Bailey wants to help. Tibby doesn’t want this because she thinks Bailey is annoying. But then she finds out Bailey has cancer. This makes her realize she shouldn’t be so sarcastic all the time and enjoy life to the fullest.
Lena is a very beautiful but shy girl. She goes to Greece and meets a boy named Kostos. Her grandparents won’t let her hang out with him because his grandparents and Lena’s grandparents have been fighting for years. But they fall in love and Lena learns to show her emotions and not be so shy all the time.
Carmen is a Puerto Rican girl who spends the summer with her father. I already told the rest of Carmen’s story.
Bridget is a pretty and athletic girl who goes to a soccer camp. She is one of the best players there and is very competitive. She falls in love with her coach and one night she sleeps with him, he doesn’t want a relationship with her, so she’s very hurt by that.
Bridget learns that she shouldn’t be so competitive.
9. The book could be described as a chick flick but I think it’s better described as a fun, but serious and emotional teen book.
10. The climax of the book I think is, when at the end of the vacation they are all back together, after having to miss each other for weeks. They all go to the wedding of Carmen’s father.
11. The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants is about four best friends who find a pair of magical pants in a second hand store. The pants are magical because, although all 4 of the girls are differently shaped, the pants fits every one of them.
During their first summer apart, they decide to send them from one friend to the other, while they are all off on their own adventures. Bridget, the athlete, is going to a soccer camp in Spain. Lena, the beauty, is going to spend her summer in Greece with her grandparents. Carmen, the Puerto Rican writer, is going to South Carolina to stay with her father. Tibby, the rebel, is staying home in Washington.
12. I absolutely love this book. The characters are so well described and reading the book makes you feel so good. It’s great to read about the friendship between the four girls. All four girls learn an important lesson in this book, so the reader of this book also learns from it.
It’s a book that makes you laugh and makes you cry. Not a lot of books can do that.
I would recommend this book to all girls who like to read, I think it’s a girly book, but I'm sure there are guys who like this book.
The part I liked most about the book was when Carmen was really angry. She ran away from her father’s house, when she came back late at night her father and his “new family” were having dinner, they weren’t even searching for her! Carmen got so upset, she threw a rock trough the window. This is an emotional part of the book.