1) Ralph: he is the main character because most of the time the story is about him. Ralph is a smart boy and he knows how to talk to people, so many people choose his side. Ralph is a self-confident boy and is not afraid to say things straightforward. He isn’t aggressive and an honest boy. He wouldn’t let the group down even if he himself gets better from it.
2) Jack: he is a careless and aggressive boy. He doesn’t care about others and he will even kill someone to get what he wants. When he gets angry he can’t control himself. And strange is that every time when Ralph begins about a fire so a ship can see them, he doesn’t show any interest.
4) Sam and Eric: these two boys are twins. They always do things together and also think the same way. You don’t get to know them very well in the story. They are both at Ralph’s side.
5) Simon: he is a nice boy, but people don’t like him because they think he is ‘gay’. He likes to help people and he can even be exploited because he doesn’t mind to do what people tell him to do.
6) Roger: he is a stupid, aggressive and careless boy. He is very mean and likes to tease people. He almost does everything what Jack asks him to do. You also won’t get to know him very much.
Now you know the people in the story a bit better, I will tell you very short the storyline of the book.
Ralph and some other boys were on board of an airplane. The plane crashed and the pilot dies. Now there wasn’t a grown-up, only a hand full of children. Luckily, Ralph and his friend Piggy find a conch. Ralph tries to get a sound out of it and it works. He blows on it and everyone comes to him because of they follow the sound of the conch. All the kids understand that they are trapped on the island until someone will come and rescue them. So they choose a chief. They choose Ralph. Ralph, who was a smart boy, suggested that they had to make a fire, so that a ship could see the smoke and rescue them. Simon, a small boy likes to help and so he helped to build houses and search for things to put into the fire. Jack was angry and jealous because they didn’t vote for him as chief. So Jack and Ralph had a fight. There was no winner but the situation gets worse. Jack decided to start his own group to have fun with, and to hunt with to get food. Ralph didn’t agree to the idea because he is the chief. From then on it goes from bad to worse. There are now two groups. In Ralph’s group there are: Piggy, Eric and Sam, and some little kids. One night Jack comes to Ralph’s group and steals Piggy’s glasses to use as magnifying glasses to make a fire. The next morning Ralph goes to Jack’s place to get Piggy’s glasses back. While Ralph was on his way, Jack kills Piggy. That was already his second kill because he had already killed Simon with hunting because everybody thought he was a monster. Jack has also captured the twins, so now Ralph is on his own. Jack tries to kill him and starts hunting Ralph. But Ralph already expects this it and he runs away. But then, suddenly a man from the army appears and finds them.
This was the short story about this exiting but difficult book.
Something about the writer and my opinion.
The writer, named William Golding, was a busy man. He had served in the army and he did acting and teaching. Because he served in the army, he started to see that everyone had all kinds of bad things in themselves. By reading this book you can see what people can do in some situations, even killing each other. The author writes very good I think, because when he writes that someone dies, you sympathize with the person. You can almost feel it. I think that the writer tries to tell us that everyone can do bad things, especially when you’re in a bad situation. I found the book interesting because it is much about human feelings and that is, I think, a difficult subject to write about because everybody is so different. Also this book has more of a real story than al those little books we read in first and second grade. It’s a pity that the book has an open end, I wonder how the boys go further in their lives. This book has also many more difficult words. There were on every page a few words I didn’t understand. But when I read on in the story I came to understand most things.
Interview with: Ralph.
Question 1) What have you learned from this adventure?
Answer) That you have to be careful with power and never just trust somebody because it can be a bad person.
Question 2) What would you like to do different?
Answer) I would be more careful with what I said because of that, Jack gets angry and starts his own group. Also I had to talk better about problems. Because I didn’t do that, they revolted and everything fall apart.
Question 3) Who would you like to leave out of the story mostly?
Answer) Jack, because he brings most damage. He killed two children and let people think bad about me.
Question 4) Would you like to go through this story/adventure again?
Answer) No, it was an awful happening, because I lost two friends.
Question 5) How did you feel when you were saved?
Answer) First I didn’t believe it, because I was already on the island for so long and I almost died.
Question 6) What did you think when Piggy got killed?
Answer) I feel that I was on my own, because everyone was now in Jack’s group.
Question 7) What did you think when Simon got killed?
Answer) It doesn’t bother me so much because he was gay.
Question 8) Did you think you would ever be rescued?
Answer) No, because Jack always let the fire go out, so nobody can see us.
Question 9) How did you feel when you woke up there?
Answer) It felt as if I experienced it every day again.
Question 10) Did your life change drastic?
Answer) Yes, I learned much about trust and evil.
1) Multitude - massa
2) Gesture - handbeweging
3) Lodgements - indiening
4) Solemnly - deftig
5) Tripped – blootgelegd
6) Dragged – sjouwen
7) Grabby – vies
8) Apprehension – gevangengenomen
9) Quivered – popelen
10) Conch – schelp
11) Soil – aarde
12) Hastened – haasten
13) Fledged – snel
14) Twigs – uitlopers
15) Enchantment – aantrekkelijk
16) Stupendous – enorm
17) Trunks – boomstammen
18) Drenched – verwoeste
19) Bewildered – verbaast
20) Slope – voorover buigen.
21) Exploration – verkenning
22) Polished – glad
23) Amplified – versleten
24) Furtive – stiekem
25) Shelter – huisje
26) Reluctantly – aarzelend
27) Scattered – blindelings
28) Squirted – bespatten
29) Trailed – loshangend
30) Arranged - ordelijk
31) Purpose – doel
32) Circumstances - omstandigheden
33) Fiercely - hevig
34) Reluctantly - tegenzin
35) Uncompromisingly - niet toegeeflijk/onbuigzaam
36) Convenient - geschikt
37) Giggled – heeft gegiecheld
38) Enviously - jaloezie
39) Decorous - betamelijk
40) Squirted – gespoten (met kracht)
41) Obedience - gehoorzaamheid
42) Complexions – teint (huidskleur)
43) Avoidance - vermijden
44) Secrecy - geheimhouding
45) Grudgingly - onwillig
46) Surmounted - overwonnen
47) Diminishingly – verkleinend
48) Occasional – occasioneel(af en toe)
49) Contradict – tegen spreken
50) Ashamedly - beschamend